Today is Monday, April 21, 2014.
1652 M. Rolle --1719
1774 J.B. Biot --1862
1816 Charlotte Bront‰, English novelist (Jane Eyre)
1838 John Muir, naturalist, conservationinst.
1915 Anthony Quinn
1926 Queen Elizabeth II
1926 Elizabeth II, Queen of England
1932 Elaine May
1935 Charles Grodin
1951 Tony Danza
1958 Andie Macdowell
1959 Robert Smith, The Cure
Lyrid meteor shower, radiant in Hercules
753 BC, Rome is founded.
1828 Noah Webster publishes first American dictionary
1857 A. Douglas patents the bustle (it's all behind us now).
1862 Congress establishes US Mint in Denver, Colorado.
1892 First buffalo born in Golden Gate Park.
1898 Spanish American war begins (Remember the Maine).
1967 Svetlana Alliluyeva (Stalin's daughter) defects in NYC
1972 Orbiting Astronomical Observer 4 (Copernicus) is launched
1977 Broadway play "Annie" opens, first of 2377 performances
1983 Soyuz T-8 is launched
1984 Franz Weber of Austria skis downhill at a record 209.8 kph
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.