Today is Saturday, December 27, 2014.
1571 Johannes Kepler, discovered planets travel in eliptical orbits.
1571 J. Kepler --1630
1822 Louis Pasteur
1879 Sydney Greenstreet
1901 Marlene Dietrich
1906 Oscar Levant
1939 John Amos
1948 Gerard Depardieu
1825 first public steam railroad completed in England.
1831 Darwin begins his voyage onboard the HMS Beagle.
1903 "Sweet Adaline", a barbershop quartet favorite, is 1st sung.
1932 Radio City Music Hall in New York City opens.
1934 the first youth hostel is opened, in Northfield, Mass
1945 International Monetary Fund established-World Bank founded
1979 Soviet troops invade Afghanistan, "Russia's Viet Nam"
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.