Today is Thursday, March 30, 2017.
1719 Sir John Hawkins, wrote 1st history of music in English
1853 Vincent van Gogh, artist who always lent an ear
1913 Frankie Laine
1930 John Astin
1930 Peter Marshall
1937 Warren Beatty
1940 Astrud Gilberto
1945 Eric Clapton
1957 Paul Reiser
1968 Celine Dion
1842 Dr. Crawford Long, first uses ether as an anesthetic.
1853 Patent granted to Hyman Lipman for a pencil with an ERASER!
1854 Julliard Academy of Music is founded in New York City
1867 US purchases Alaska for $7,200,000 (Seward's Folly)
1870 15th Amendment passed, guarantees right to vote to all races
1932 Amelia Earhart is 1st woman to fly across the Atlantic solo
1950 Invention of the Phototransistor is announced at Murray Hill, NJ
"Spring Forward" One hour at 2am, the first Sunday in April.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.