Today is Friday, November 28, 2014.
1628 John Bunyan, English cleric, author (Pilgrim's Progress)
1632 Jean Baptiste Lully, French composer, musician
1757 William Blake, poet (Songs of Innocence and Experience)
1881 Stefan Zweig, Austrian poet, essayist, dramatist, translator
1894 Brooks Atkinson
1929 Berry Gordy, Jr.
1943 Randy Newman
1946 Joe Dante
1949 Alexander Godunov
1949 Paul Shaffer
1950 Ed Harris
1959 Judd Nelson
1965 Jon Stewart
1967 Anna Nicole Smith
1520 Magellan begins crossing the Pacific Ocean.
1895 America's auto race starts: 6 cars, 55 miles, winner avgd 7mph
1912 Albania declares independence from Turkey
1929 Admiral RE Byrd makes first flight over the South Pole
1960 Mauritania gains independence from France (National Day)
1964 Mariner 4 launched; first probe to fly by Mars
1983 9th Space Shuttle Mission - Columbia 6 is launched
1986 Reagan administration exceeds SALT II arms agreement for 1st time
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.