Today is Saturday, December 10, 2016.
Geminid meteor shower, radiant in Gemini
Human Rights Day, a United Nations observance.
1520 Martin Luther publicly burns the papal edict demanding he recant.
1817 Mississippi becomes 20th state
1869 Women granted right to vote in Wyoming Territory
1898 Spanish-American War ends - US acquires Guam from Spain
1901 first Nobel Peace Prizes (to Jean Henri Dunant, Fr‚d‚ric Passy).
1906 Theodore Roosevelt (first American) awarded Nobel Peace Prize.
1920 President Woodrow Wilson receives Nobel Peace Prize.
1948 UN Genl Assembly adopts Universal Declaration on Human Rights
1950 Ralph J. Bunche (1st black American) presented Nobel Peace Prize
1963 Zanzibar gains independence from Britain
1975 A. Sakharov's wife Yelena Bonner, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize.
1982 Soyuz T-5 returns to Earth, 211 days after take-off
1986 Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel accepts 1986 Nobel Peace Prize
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.