Today is Wednesday, July 27, 2016.
1824 Alexandre Dumas fils, French playwright, novelist.
1835 GiosuŠ Carducci, Italian poet (Nobel 1906).
1922 Norman Lear
1931 Jerry Van Dyke
1944 Bobbie Gentry
1947 Betty Thomas
1948 Peggy Fleming, Olympic gold medalist in figure skating
1949 Maureen McGovern
Delta Aquarid meteor shower, radiant in Aquarius.
1501 Copernicus formally installed as canon of Frauenberg Cathedral
1694 Bank of England is chartered.
1836 Adelaide, South Australia founded.
1866 Atlantic telegraph cable successfully laid (1,686 miles long).
1940 Billboard magazine starts publishing best-seller's charts.
1955 Austria regains full independence after 4-power occupation.
1962 Mariner 2 launched on a flyby mission to venus
1969 Pioneer 10 Launched.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.