Today is Saturday, March 8, 2014.
1787 Karl Ferdinand von Grafe, helped create modern plastic surgery
1859 Kenneth Grahame, author, "The Wind in the Willows"
1879 Otto Hahn, co-discoverer of nuclear fission
1909 Claire Trevor
1923 Cyd Charisse
1943 Lynn Redgrave
1945 Mickey Dolenz
1959 Aidan Quinn
1963 Kathy Ireland
International Women's Day
1862 The Confederate ironclad "Merrimack" launched.
1917 US invades Cuba, for third time. No wonder they're paranoid.
1934 Edwin Hubble photo shows as many galaxies as Milky Way has stars
1965 First US forces arrive in Vietnam. Oh unhappy day!
1976 Largest observed falling single stony meteorite (Jiling, China)
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.