Today is Wednesday, October 22, 2014.
1811 Franz Liszt, Hungary, Romantic composer, virtuoso pianist
1845 Sarah Bernhardt, actress
1870 Ivan Bunin, Russian poet/novelist (Gentleman from SF), Nobel 1933
1903 Curly Howard
1917 Joan Fontaine
1920 Timothy Leary
1938 Christopher Lloyd
1939 A. Gray --1998
1939 Tony Roberts
1942 Annette Funicello
1943 Catherine Deneuve
1952 Jeff Goldblum
1985 Zac Hanson
Orionid meteor shower, radiant in Orion.
Vatican City National Day.
1797 André-Jacques Garnerin makes 1st parachute jump from balloon
1836 Sam Houston inaugurated as 1st elected pres of Republic of Texas
1953 Laos gains full independence from France.
1962 JFK imposes naval blockade on Cuba, beginning missile crisis.
1962 Pacific Science Center opens at Seattle Center.
1975 Soviet spacecraft Venera 9 lands on Venus
1981 US National debt topped $1 TRILLION (nothing to celebrate).
1981 Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization is decertified.
4004 B.C. Universe created at 8:00 PM, according to the 1650 pronouncement of Anglican archbishop James Ussher.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.