Today is Thursday, June 30, 2016.
1911 Czeslaw Milosz, Polish-American writer (Nobel 1980)
1917 Buddy Rich
1917 Lena Horne
1919 Susan Hayward
1934 Harry Blackstone Jr, magician
1966 Mike Tyson, will box your ear off
1975 Ralf Schumacher
Pons-Winnecke meteor shower, radiant in Draco.
1834 Congress creates Indian Territory
1893 The Excelsior diamond (blue-white, 995 carats) discovered.
1906 Pure Food and Drug Act and Meat Inspection Act adopted
1908 Giant fireball impacts in Central Siberia (the Tunguska Event)
1930 First round-the-world radio broadcast, from Schenectady NY.
1936 40 hour work week law approved in US.
1948 Transistor demonstrated Murray Hill, NJ.
1960 Zaire gains its independence.
1972 Timekeeping adjusted with the first leap second.
1997 Great Brittian hands Hong Kong over to China after 156 years of Democracy
2003 Electronic Freedom Foundation launches compaign "Let the Music Play" to legitimize file sharing.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.