Today is Friday, August 29, 2014.
1898 Preston Sturges
1904 L. Roth --1968
1915 Ingrid Bergman
1917 Isabel Sanford
1920 Charlie "Bird" Parker
1923 Richard Attenborough
1928 Dick O'Neill
1936 John McCain
1938 Elliott Gould
1939 William Friedkin
1941 Robin Leach
1958 Michael Jackson
1958 Michael Jackson
Zeta Draconid meteor shower, radiant in Draco
1526 Hungary conquered by Turks in Battle of Moh cs
1533 Last Incan King of Peru, Atahualpa, killed by Spanish conquerors
1896 Chop suey invented in NYC by chef of visiting Chinese Ambassador
1949 USSR explodes its 1st atomic bomb
1954 San Francisco International Airport (SFO) opens.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.