Today is Monday, July 28, 2014.
1165 Ibn al-'Arabi, Muslim mystic, philosopher.
1866 Beatrix Potter, English children's author (Tale of Peter Rabbit).
1901 Rudy Vallee
1902 Richard Rogers
1907 Earl S. Tupper, inventor of Tupperware.
1929 Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
1940 Phil Proctor
1945 Jim Davis
1948 Sally Struthers
1958 Terry Fox, runs "Marathon of Hope" across Canada.
Capricornid meteor shower, radiant in Capricorn.
Delta Aquarid meteor shower, radiant in Aquarius.
1586 Sir Thomas Harriot introduces potatoes to Europe.
1821 Peru gains its independence.
1849 "Memmon" is first clipper to reach SF, 120 days out of NY
1851 total solar eclipse captured on a daguerreotype photograph
1866 Metric system becomes a legal measurement system in US
1868 14th Amendment ratified, citizenship to exslaves.
1900 The Hamburger is created by Louis Lassing in Connecticut
1914 Austria-Hungary attacks Serbia - World War I begins.
1931 Congress makes The Star-Spangled Banner our 2nd National Anthem
1932 President Hoover evicts bonus marchers from their encampment.
1933 1st Singing Telegram is delivered (to Rudy Vallee).
1964 Ranger 7 launched to the moon; sends back 4308 TV pictures.
1973 Skylab 3's astronauts are launched
1976 Eldon Joersz & Geo. Morgan set world airspeed record of 3,530 kph
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.