Today is Friday, October 21, 2016.
1687 N. Bernoulli --1759
1772 Samuel Taylor Coleridge in England, poet
1833 Alfred Nobel
1855 G.B. Guccia --1914
1912 Sir Georg Solti, conductor
1914 Martin Gardner, Scientific American math & puzzles columnist
1917 Dizzy Gillespie, trumpeter, a creator of modern jazz
1949 Benjamin Netanyahu
1956 Carrie Fisher
1976 Jeremy Miller
Orionid meteor shower, radiant in Orion.
1797 US Navy frigate Constitution, Old Ironsides, launched in Boston
1803 John Dalton presents table of atomic weights and proposes atoms exists.
1805 Battle of Trafalgar, where Nelson established British naval supremacy for the next century.
1868 Severe earthquake at 7:53AM.
1879 Thomas Edison commercially perfects the light bulb.
1897 Yerkes Observatory of the University of Chicago is dedicated.
1918 Margaret Owen sets world typing speed record of 170 wpm for 1 min
1923 Deutsches Museum, Walther Bauersfeld's first Zeiss Planetarium.
1945 Women in France allowed to vote for the first time
1975 Venera 9, 1st craft to orbit the planet Venus launched
1976 Saul Bellow wins Nobel Prize for Literature
1977 US recalls William Bowdler, ambassador to South Africa
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.