Today is Friday, April 28, 2017.
1442 Edward IV, king of England (1461-70, 1471-83)
1758 James Monroe, 5th President (1816-1824)
1765 S.F. Lacroix --1843
1900 Jan Hendrik Oort, Dutch astronomer, (Oort Cloud)
1937 Saddam Hussein, Iraqi president
1950 Jay Leno, entertainer
1958 Nancy Lee Grahn
1981 Jessica Alba
Kiss Your Mate Day
585 War between Lydia and Media is ended by a solar eclipse.
1686 First volume of Isaac Newton's PRINCIPIA is published.
1754 Mutiny on the HMS Bounty occurs.
1914 W. H. Carrier patents air conditioner.
1919 First successful parachute jump is made.
1942 "WW II" titled so, as result of Gallup Poll.
1947 Thor Heyerdahl and Kon-Tiki sail from Peru to Polynesia.
1952 WW II Pacific peace treaty takes effect.
1974 Last Americans are evacuated from Saigon.
1977 Christopher Boyce is convicted for selling satellite secrets.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.