Today is Tuesday, July 22, 2014.
1795 G. Lamé --1870
1844 Rev. William Archibald Spooner, invented 'spoonerisms'
1849 Emma Lazarus, whose poem was inscribed on the Statue of Liberty
1887 Gustav Hertz, German quantum physicist (Nobel 1925).
1890 Rose Kennedy, mother of John and Robert.
1898 Steven Vincent Benét, writer (The Devil and Daniel Webster).
1898 Alexander Calder
1923 Bob Dole
1928 Orson Bean
1934 Louise Fletcher
1940 Alex Trebek
1947 Albert Brooks
1947 Danny Glover
1947 Don Henley
1949 Alan Menken
1933 Wiley Post completes 1st round-the-world solo flight.
1972 Venera 8 makes a soft landing on Venus.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.