Today is Saturday, March 7, 2015.
1824 D. Codazzi --1873
1849 Luther Burbank, plant breeder
1872 Pieter Mondriaan
1875 Maurice Ravel, "Bolero"
1875 Maurice Ravel
1930 Lord Snowdon
1934 Willard Scott
1940 Daniel J. Travanti
1942 Tammy Faye Bakker
1960 Ivan Lendl
1778 James Cook first sights Oregon coast, at Yaquina Bay
1848 In Hawaii, the Great Mahele (division of lands) is signed.
1876 Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone.
1912 Roald Amundsen announces the discovery of the South Pole
1926 First transatlantic telephone call (London-New York)
1933 The game "Monopoly" is invented.
1936 Hitler breaks Treaty of Versailles, sends troops to Rhineland
1962 US Orbiting Solar Observatory is launched.
1981 Walter Cronkite's final CBS anchor appearance. Still unequaled.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.