Today is Sunday, October 26, 2014.
1466 Desiderius Erasmus, Dutch scholar, author of The Praise of Folly
1759 Georges Danton, French Revolutionary leader
1855 Charles Post, who had a way with breakfast cereals.
1911 S.S. Chern --?
1911 Mahalia Jackson
1914 Jackie Coogan
1916 Francois Mitterrand, French President
1917 Felix the cat, cartoon character
1919 Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, shah of Iran (1941-79)
1937 B.G. Moishezon --1993
1942 Bob Hoskins
1947 Hillary Rodham Clinton
1947 Jaclyn Smith
1947 Pat Sajak
1954 Lauren Tewes
1962 Cary Elwes
1825 Erie Canal between Hudson River & Lake Erie opened
1861 Telegraph service inaugurated in US (end of Pony Express).
1863 Soccer rules standardized; rugby starts as a separate game.
1881 Shootout at the OK corral, in Tombstone, Arizona.
1903 "Yerba Buena" is 1st Key System ferry to cross San Francisco Bay.
1949 Pres Truman increases minimum wage - from 40 cents to 75 cents.
1956 International Atomic Energy Agency established.
1957 Vatican Radio begins broadcasting
1958 PanAm flies the first transatlantic jet trip: New York to Paris.
1968 Soyuz 3 is launched
1970 the "Doonesbury" comic strip debuts in 28 newspapers
1972 Guided tours of Alcatraz (by Park Service) begin.
1979 St. Vincent & the Grenadines gains independence from Britain.
1984 "Baby Fae" gets a baboon heart in an experimental transplant in Loma Linda, CA. She will live for 21 days with the animal heart.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.