Today is Friday, October 31, 2014.
1632 Jan Vermeer, Dutch painter (Procuress, The Astronomer)
1795 John Keats, Romantic poet
1860 Juliette Gordon Low, Girl Scout founder
1887 Chiang Kai-Shek
1900 Ethel Waters
1912 Dale Evans
1922 Barbara Bel Geddes
1931 Dan Rather
1936 Michael Landon
1942 David Ogden Stiers
1950 Jane Pauley
1950 John Candy
All Hallows Eve (you know... Halloween)
National UNICEF Day.
1517 Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses, begins Protestant Reformation
1864 Nevada admitted as 36th state.
1922 Benito Mussolini (Il Duce) becomes premier of Italy.
1952 first thermonuclear bomb detonated - Marshall Islands
1959 Lee Harvey Oswald announces in Moscow he will never return to US
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.