Today is Monday, September 26, 2016.
1637 S. le Clerc --1714
1774 John Chapman, alias Johnny Appleseed
1888 T.S. Eliot
1898 George Gershwin, composer, "Rhapsody In Blue"
1914 Jack LaLanne
1926 Julie London
1948 Olivia Newton-John
1956 Linda Hamilton
1972 Shawn Stockman
1981 Serena Williams
1542 Cabrillo discovers California
1687 Parthenon destroyed in war between Turks & Venetians
1789 Jefferson appointed 1st Sec of State; John Jay 1st chief justice; Samuel Osgood 1st Postmaster & Edmund J Randolph 1st Attorney Gen
1824 Kapiolani defies Pele (Hawaiian volcano goddess) and lives.
1896 John Philip Sousa's Band's first performance in Plainfield, NJ
1914 Federal Trade Commission formed to regulate interstate commerce
1950 UN troops in Korean War recaptured South Korean capital of Seoul
1966 Japan launches its 1st satellite in to space
1966 The Staten Island is 1st icebreaker to enter SF bay
1983 Australia II wins The America's Cup yacht race
1983 Cosmonauts Titov & Strekalov are saved from exploding Soyuz T-10
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.