Today is Thursday, April 2, 2015.
742 Emperor Charlemagne
1805 Hans Christian Andersen
1875 Walter Chrysler, founded a car company.
1908 Buddy Ebsen
1914 Sir Alec Guiness, thespian
1914 Alec Guinness
1920 Jack Webb, "Just the facts ma'am."
1924 Doris Day, girl next door
1939 Marvin Gaye
1945 Linda Hunt
1947 Emmylou Harris
1954 Ron "Horshack" Palillo
1955 Dana Carvey, Saturday Night Live actor
International Children's Book Day
1513 Florida discovered, claimed for Spain by Ponce de León
1792 Congress establishes Coin denominations and authorizes US Mint
1935 Watson Watt granted a patent for RADAR.
1953 Watson and Crick publish discovery of deoxyribonucleic acid, DNA.
1958 NACA renamed NASA
1972 Apollo 16's Young and Duke land on the moon and hot-rod with the Boeing Lunar Rover #2
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.