Today is Saturday, April 25, 2015.
1599 Oliver Cromwell, British Puritan reformer, roundhead
1849 C.F. Klein --1925
1874 Guglielmo Marconi, Bologna Italy, invented radio, (Nobel 1909)
1908 Edward R. Murrow, set the standard for TV correspondents.
1918 Ella Fitzgerald
1930 Paul Mazursky
1932 Meadowlark Lemon
1940 Al Pacino
1945 Bjorn Ulvaeus
1945 Stu Cook
1946 Talia Shire
1964 Hank Azaria
1969 Renee Zellweger
Arbor Day. Plant a tree.
1901 New York becomes first state requiring license plates for cars
1945 United Nations Conference starts.
1957 First experimental sodium nuclear reactor starts up.
1959 St Lawrence Seaway opens to shipping
1961 Mercury/Atlas rocket lifts off with an electronic mannequin.
1961 Robert Noyce is granted a patent for the integrated circuit.
1972 Glider pilot Hans Grosse flies a record 1461 km
1975 First Boeing Jetfoil service, Hong Kong to Macao.
2003 Judge rules companies providing Peer to Peer file sharing are not liable for copyright infringements of users (MGM v. Grokster).
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.