Today is Wednesday, October 1, 2014.
1207 Henry III, king of England (1216-72)
1671 L.G. Grandi --1742
1685 Charles VI, Holy Roman emperor (1711-40)
1781 James Lawrence, naval hero ("Don't give up the ship!")
1881 William Edward Boeing, founded aircraft company.
1904 Vladimir Horowitz, pianist
1920 Walter Matthau
1921 James Whitmore
1924 Jimmy Carter, 39th President (1976-1980)
1927 Tom Bosley
1928 George Peppard
1932 Richard Harris
1935 Julie Andrews, actress & singer (Sound of Music, Mary Poppins)
1936 Stella Stevens
1945 Rod Carew
1950 Randy Quaid
1963 Mark McGwire
1968 Jay Underwood
World Vegetarian Day
Fiscal year begins for Federal Government
331 BC Alexander of Macedon defeats Persian army at Gaugamela
1869 1st postcards are issued in Vienna.
1896 Yosemite becomes a National Park.
1903 1st World Series starts between the National & American Leagues
1908 Henry Ford introduces the Model T car.
1940 Pennsylvania Turnpike, pioneer toll thruway, opens.
1949 People's Republic of China proclaimed (National Day)
1952 first Ultra High Frequency (UHF) TV station, in Portland, Oregon
1958 Vanguard Project transferred from military to NASA
1960 Nigeria gains its independence.
1962 Johnny Carson's Tonight Show and The Lucy Show both premier.
1962 National Radio Astronomy Observatory gets a 300' radio telescope
1964 San Francisco Cable Cars are declared a National Landmark.
1971 Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida opens.
1977 Singer Mary Ford dies, "Vaya con dios," "How High the Moon"
1979 US returns Canal Zone, not the canal, to Panama after 75 years.
1991 Michael Jackson's white glove is stolen from the Motown Musuem
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.