Today is Sunday, September 21, 2014.
1756 John Loudon McAdam, created macadam road surface (asphalt)
1866 H.G. Wells, futurist, writer, (War of the Worlds).
1874 Gustav Holst, composer, (The Planets)
1931 Larry Hagman
1934 Leonard Cohen
1935 Henry Gibson
1947 Stephen King, suspense writer (Shining, Kujo)
1950 Bill Murray
1962 Rob Morrow
1968 Ricki Lake
1983 Joseph Mazzello
1784 1st daily newspaper in US begins publication in Pennsylvania.
1895 1st auto manufacturer opens -- Duryea Motor Wagon Company.
1930 Johann Ostermeyer patents his invention, the flashbulb.
1954 The nuclear submarine "Nautilus" is commissioned.
1958 1st airplane flight exceeding 1200 hours, lands at Dallas Texas
1964 Malta gains independence from Britain
1974 US Mariner 10 makes second fly-by of Mercury
1981 Sandra Day O'Conner becomes the 1st female Supreme Court Justice
1982 SF cable cars cease operations for 2 years of repairs
1993 John Denver is arrested on drunk-driving charges in Aspen.
1994 John Denver is arrested again for drunk driving.
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.