Today is Thursday, April 24, 2014.
1620 John Graunt, statistician, founds the science of demography
1750 S.A.J. L'Huillier --1840
1815 Anthony Trollope, England, novelist (Barchester Towers)
1899 O. Zariski --1986
1934 Shirley MacLaine
1936 Jill Ireland
1942 Barbra Streisand, profile
1945 Doug Clifford
1957 Boris Williams, The Cure
1972 Chipper Jones
1800 Library of Congress is founded with a $5000 allocation.
1865 SF Fire Alarm and Police Telegraph system put into operation.
1934 Wind gusts reach 372 kph at Mt Washington, NH
1953 Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II
1962 MIT sends TV signal by satellite for first time: CA to MA
1970 China launchs first satellite, transmitting song "East is Red".
1990 Hubble Space Telescope is put into orbit by shuttle Discovery.
1997 Bjork awarded Knights Cross medal of honour by the President of Iceland
That's all for today.
What happened on this day in history? What happened on your birthday? Web-based CDAY, an almanac for web servers, reports events, birthdays, and holidays, and supports RSS (XML).
Webmasters: Install CDAY on your web site to add value and attract visitors. This might work especially well with original data for a specific subject (e.g. baseball).
See the embedded demonstration on the right-hand of the page. You may also see a fuller demo with features such as date navigation and RSS.
- PHP 4+, web scripting language
- Web server, such as Apache
- MySQL or PostgreSQL database highly recommended
Your rights to use and distribute CDAY are licensed to you under the GNU General Public License.
Don't forget to download libraries, which are separate.
For best results start with these instructions to test the program. Then embed PHP into your existing web pages and customize library data for your audience.
- Download the program.
- Download libraries separately.
- Unpack the archives to your web server directory (e.g., /var/www/html/cday).
- Modify cday_cfg.php as needed using any text editor. Be sure to specify your database (type, host name, user name, password).
- If you don't have shell access to your web server, modify cday_import.php to allow remote use. Upload libraries and PHP files to web server now.
- Run the cday_import.php script. It copies library data to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Test CDAY using a web browser.
- When finished you may delete or disable the cday_import.php.
- Use only SQLite for back-end storage (to replace MySQL and Postgresql). (I would still use the text as an interchange format.)
- Replace Kincaid format with XML.
- Clan Uke: notice integration and customized look
- Royal Australian Navy - Gun Plot
- Ballpark Flashblack
© 2003-2008 by Andrew Ziem. All rights reserved. Design by Andreas Viklund.